Did you know….St. Patty’s Day is the perfect time to get rid of all that leftover Christmas candy you have in your pantry! Especially all those red and green M&M’s. And I can’t be the only one who still has leftover Christmas candy, right?!?
Yeah, it may take a few minutes to separate the colors, but that is a perfect task for little hands! The same little hands that will be gobbling this up when its done. The best part is that it takes no time at all to throw together.
And I can tell you for certain it won’t last long in this house! Good thing my hubby will be traveling for some military work this weekend–so a big container will be sent with him for the crew. Less snacking for me = win! Because while this is tasty treat, it’s not the healthiest, if you couldn’t tell by the following ingredient list. 😉 But that’s okay. You gotta live. All in moderation friends!
St. Patty’s Day Snack Mix
- 4 1/2 Cups Chex Cereal (I used corn Chex)
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Mini Pretzels
- Green candy melts
- M&M’s (green or white)
- Assorted sprinkles
- Lucky Charms marshmallows (optional)
- 1 large bowl
- 2 small microwave safe bowls
- 2 baking sheets
- parchment paper
- Combine peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave uncovered in 30 seconds intervals until melted and smooth. Add vanilla. Disclaimer: this little mixture is amazing and could probably be eaten right off the spoon–no judgement here!
- In large bowl combine cereal with the above mixture until coated.
- Pour cereal mixture into gallon sized Ziploc bag and cover with powdered sugar. Seal and shake! Congrats, you just made muddy buddies!
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet lined in parchment paper to cool. (And try not to snack along the way!)
- Next, lay pretzels on another baking sheet lined in parchment paper. *Note- You could always bypass this next step and just leave your pretzels straight up, but I like the extra bit of color it gives to the mix. 🙂
- Microwave green candy melts until smooth. Drizzle over pretzels. *Note- This can be as pretty as you want it to be–I had a kid screaming upstairs and did the shortcut method of drizzling with my spatula. Notice the big globs of chocolate on some!
- Immediately top pretzels with your sprinkles of choice. I had white & green dots and gold sprinkles on hand. (All leftover from Christmas!) Let cool.
- Once cooled, combine cereal with pretzels, M&M’s, and marshmallows. Store in airtight container.
- Enjoy with your little leprechauns!
Or put in little favor bags for a classroom or party treat.
This treat is easily adaptable to any color scheme or holiday–pastels for Easter, red, white & blues for Memorial/Independence/Labor Day’s, orange & black for Halloween, red/green/white for Christmas. You could also add nuts, raisins, or other candies–the possibilities are endless and it always gets eaten up! I’m a sweet and salty girl through and through so the pretzel/peanut butter/chocolate combo is my jam.
PSA: Also goes great with green beer. 😉
Cheers & Happy St. Patrick’s Day friends!
Leave a Reply