I’ve always loved the look of a balloon garland, but have been too intimidated to attempt my own. It looks like a LOT of work, I thought.
Well, after completing my first balloon garland for my daughter’s 3rd birthday party, I can now say that while it does take more time than just buying them from the party store, it is SUPER EASY. And the end result is so worth it!
Here’s how you can make your own balloon garland.
- Balloon Decorating Strip (I bought this one from Party City)
- Assorted Balloons (I used 4 different colors of 5″, 9″, and 12″ balloons)
- Balloon Pump (This is a HUGE time saver! Got mine at the dollar store!)
- String + Command Hooks for hanging
- *Optional- extra embellishments such as garlands, tassels, foil balloon shapes or letters/words.
- Blow up/tie all of your balloons. That way you can just pick and choose colors as you go along. It’ll make the assembly process go faster.
- Attached balloons to your balloon decorating strip. You can do every hole, or every other hole depending on how full you want your garland to be. Also, you can transition colors as you like. Have fun with it!
- Once you get to your desired length, cut the strip and hang up! I tied a piece of string at both ends of the garland, then hooked the string to my command hook.
The most time-intensive part of this project is blowing up the balloons. So if you have time to prep them in advance (maybe do X amount each night) then it won’t seem like so much all at once. Getting your husband and kids to help doesn’t hurt either. 😉
Most importantly, don’t stress and have fun with it! It’s not a complicated process whatsoever and the end result is so magical! If you do make your own balloon garland, be sure to tag me in your photos- @jamie.rutten on Instagram @pigtailsandpinot on Facebook.