Happy Friday friends! I have a new super quick and tasty recipe to add to your fall dinner menu. I whipped up this Chicken Tortilla Soup the other night without following a specific recipe and wanted to share what I came up with because it was yummy!
Let me just start by saying that I’m not a huge chicken tortilla soup fan. Meaning, I never order it, have never made it before, and have felt kinda meh about it my whole life. I’m more of a creamy soup kinda girl. That said, you are probably wondering why in the hell I would make chicken tortilla soup! Haha. Well folks, sometimes when you are in desperate need of a grocery shopping trip, but don’t feel like dragging your two children to the store, so you just make do with what you have on hand and for me that was the following: left over rotisserie chicken, onions, peppers, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, spices, and all the fixings for a good taco. Sooooo….that is how the chicken tortilla soup came about. And it was a hit with my husband and my 5 year old, so I hope you’ll love it too!
1 cup white onion, diced
1 cup bell peppers, diced (I had mini peppers on hand so I used those up)
2 cloves fresh minced garlic, or 2 teaspoons of jarred
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 can of black beans (I always like to rinse mine!)
1 cup of corn (I didn’t have any corn on hand, but wish’d I did!)
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded or leftover rotisserie chicken
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice (or if you’d like some extra heat, Rotel would be a good sub here!)
2 cups chicken broth
- If not using rotisserie chicken, go ahead and cook your chicken however you like to do so. I would bake mine and then shred it. Set aside.
- In a large pot, saute onions and peppers in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and all spices. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, and corn.
- Simmer for 10-15 (or longer if you have the time) stirring occasionally. Add more spices to taste. (You gotta taste your food people!)
- Fill your bowl and load up the toppings–don’t forget the tortilla chips!! Enjoy!
*If you like a thicker, less brothy soup, you can always make a slurry (cornstarch/flour and water) and slowly add that in.
Please keep in mind I’m no food blogger, and my pictures reflect that. 😉